Russell Varga won first prize in the 7-or-more-registers category for this display at Chuck's Produce in Vancouver, Wash. (Photo courtesy National Mango Board)
Who created the craziest, most eye-catching mango displays in their retail produce departments?
The National Mango Board, Orlando, Fla., decided on the winners out of 120 eligible entries nationwide in the ninth annual Mango Mania Display Contest, according to a news release.
Competing retailers nationwide created eye-catching displays for at least one week in June, winning more than $1,500 in cash incentives.
Each participating store received a $15 digital gift card, and stores that included Tajín products in the displays received an extra $15 incentive.
The board encouraged stores to use its point-of-sale materials showcasing selection, cutting and nutrition messages to educate shoppers, as well as use creativity and props.
Board members judged the entries based on creativity, visual appeal and effectiveness in educating customers about mangos.
“The retailers’ excitement to promote this super fun superfruit is energizing! This contest continues to be a great way to engage our retailers while boosting mango sales and movement,” Valda Coryat, mango board marketing director, said in the release.
The top winners for one to six registers are:
- 1st place, $500 prize: Lacy Dunn at Safeway in Springfield, Ore.;
- 2nd place, $250 prize: Carlos Gomez at Foodland Markets in Waxahachie, Texas; and
- 3rd place, $100 prize: Ryan Petralia at Price Rite in Rochester, N.Y.
The top winners for seven or more registers are:
- 1st place, $500 prize: Russell Varga at Chuck’s Produce in Vancouver, Wash.;
- 2nd place, $250 prize: Allen Thomas at Chuck’s Produce in Vancouver, Wash; and
- 3rd place, $100 prize: Willie Szabo at Price Rite Marketplace in Rochester, N.Y.