Photos and video by Ashley Nickle
NEW ORLEANS — Rouses Markets has built what is expected to be the world’s largest avocado display at its store on Tchoupitoulas Street.
The Mardi Gras float-themed display has roughly 112,000 avocados, an amount aimed at setting a Guinness World Record.
Rouses has the fruit on ad for 3 for $1, but shoppers who come into the store Dec. 4 can get a coupon from Avocados From Mexico that provides an even greater bargain — 3 for 25 cents.
“Unbelievable,” said director of produce Rob Ybarra. “It’s an unreal deal for all of our customers.”
The huge display serves as the centerpiece of a storewide effort to promote the fruit. Outside the produce department, shoppers will also find products with avocado in deli, meat and seafood. Customers who buy sandwiches at the store can add avocado as a topping for 25 cents. The store will also be offering samples of avocado slices and housemade guacamole along with numerous dishes that include the popular fruit.
Rouses has created a record-setting display before — with artichokes in 2012. The company wanted to go big again this year, and avocados were deemed the perfect fit for the project.
“It has become the sexy item of produce,” Ybarra said. “It really has.”
Per the Rouses website, here is the lineup of avocado tasting events for the week:
Wednesday, Dec. 4
- 11 a.m.-3 p.m. — Pork carnitas, low-carb avocado toast, beef and chicken quesadillas, guacamole with Hola Nola chips; cold avocado salad and dragon rolls
- 4 p.m.-6 p.m. — Tecate Light
Thursday, Dec. 5
- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. — Blue Top Taco Truck
- 4 p.m.-6 p.m. — Dos Equis Amber
Friday, Dec. 6
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m. — Avocado toast
- 4 p.m.-6 p.m. — Pork carnitas, beef and chicken quesadillas, dragon rolls, guacamole with Hola Nola chips, cold avocado salad and Tecate
Saturday, Dec. 7
- 10 a.m.-1 p.m. — Pork carnitas, beef and chicken quesadillas, dragon rolls, guacamole with Hola Nola chips, cold avocado salad, avocado toast with Sola Bread and Dos Equis Lager