Editor-in-chief Tom Karst and retail editor Ashley Nickle discuss the latest outbreak associated with romaine lettuce.
Ashley visited 12 grocery stores in the Kansas City area the evening of Nov. 20 to see how retailers were responding to the CDC's advisory, which was issued earlier that day. All except two had taken all the romaine from their shelves. Walmart and Sam's Club were the outliers.
See the following articles to get caught up on how this outbreak and its effects have unfolded.
- CDC warns against romaine in E. coli outbreak
- Federal agencies to industry: stop shipping romaine
- Romaine (mostly) disappears from shelves after CDC advisory
- Bombshell advisory signals more romaine trouble
- Industry plans to use data in E. coli origin search