Get a better feel for the markets your stores are in — and perhaps markets you're exploring for future stores — with a look at this Shelby Report retail market share data, focusing on the Northeast.
In the interactive map and graph below, find each major market in the Northeast. Also highlighted further down in this post are the major cities in each market.
All markets are “labeled” or identified by their primary state (with metros or key cities). Percentages are estimates based on annualized sales, industry data, institutional research and store footprints. Shares are updated as market metrics dictate and retailers supply their store lists.*
Market shares are for chains, independents and/or the wholesalers (voluntary or cooperative) which supply them within each region’s distribution area, extending well beyond typical metros or CBSAs. Each market is defined by the sphere of distribution, not by a rigid geographic boundary.
Major cities in each market:
- Connecticut/Massachusets/Vermont - Hartford, Springfield, Montpelier
- East Pennsylvania/Delaware/New Jersey - Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton, Wilmington, Dover, Camden, Trenton
- Maryland/DC/N. Virginia/Delaware - Baltimore, Washington, Arlington, Charlottesville, Georgetown
- Massachusets/Rhode Island/New Hampshire/Maine - Boston, Providence, Manchester, Portland, Bangor
- New York/ New Jersey - New York City, Newark
- Upstate New York - Vermont - Albany, Syracuse, Burlington
- Western New York - Northern Pennsylvania - Buffalo, Rochester
- Western Pennsylvania -West Virginia-Maryland - Pittsburg, Erie, Morgantown