The United Fresh Produce Association has named its 25 Retail Produce Manager Award honorees for 2019.
The group includes produce managers from 16 states and two Canadian provinces, from supermarkets, independents and commissaries.
“Produce managers are the face of our industry to the consumer," United Fresh president and CEO Tom Stenzel said in a news release. "Their creative merchandising and positive approach to customer service directly correlates to the growth of sales and ultimately consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables.
"We are grateful to Dole for once again sponsoring this program and for their partnership in recognizing these 25 deserving honorees," Stenzel said. "I look forward to celebrating our winners this June in Chicago."
The award winners are:
- Vincente Aguirre, Fort Bliss Commissary, El Paso, TX
- Gregory Barnufsky Jr., Yokes Fresh Markets, Spokane, WA
- Mike Burdi, Metro Ontario Inc., Toronto, ON, Canada
- Jerry Clark II, The Fresh Market, Roanoke, VA
- Cassandra Crone, North State Grocery, Inc., Auburn, CA
- Bobby David, Audubon Market, St. Francisville, LA
- William Denault, Price Chopper Supermarkets, Lenox, MA
- Elaine Fong, Calgary Co-op, Calgary, AB, Canada
- Baryn Hagood-Lund, Safeway Inc., Everett, WA
- Heather Hudgins, MOM's Organic Markets, Whitemarsh, MD
- Edward Jette, Big Y Foods, Easton, MA
- Jason Karaffa, Albrecht's Sentry Foods, Delafield, WI
- Robin Manwaring, Tops Friendly Markets, Pulaski, NY
- Greg Miller, Raley's Family of Fine Stores, Chico, CA
- Michael Rowe, Brookshire’s Grocery Company, Bridgeport, TX
- David Scarlett, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Knoxville, TN
- Martin Sevensky, Weis Markets, Inc., Clarks Summit, PA
- Michael Sockett, Gelson's Markets, Valley Village, CA
- Jimmy Strickland, Harris Teeter, Fayetteville, NC
- Charles Tavacol, Giant Foods, McLean, VA
- Roman Teig, Hy-Vee, Inc., Omaha, NE
- Jason Thompson, Hollywood Markets, Madison Heights, MI
- David Thompson, The Kroger Company, Peachtree City, GA
- Brittany Woodall, Fred Meyer, Bellevue, WA
- Patricia Young, Meijer, Springfield, IL
United Fresh received hundreds of nominations from retailers and suppliers. Winners were selected based on several criteria, including efforts to increase produce consumption through great merchandising, special displays and promotions. Community service and commitment to customer satisfaction were also evaluated, per the release.