Photo from iStock
For the Aug./Sept. issue of Produce Retailer magazine, marketers gave advice on how to merchandise bananas to increase sales.
- Offer a variety of bananas, including plantains, manzanos and organics, to appeal to different consumers.
- Carry a second stock-keeping unit of bagged fruit with smaller clusters to give consumers more options.
Inform your shoppers
- Promoting health benefits and recipe ideas helps spur sales.
- Touting the benefits of organic and the sustainability of companies is a great way to merchandise bananas and increase sales.
- Tackle food waste by showing consumers how to use ripe bananas for baking or peel and freeze for smoothies via point of sale material, flyers or recipes on social media.
- Inspire home cooks by placing recipe cards at the banana display along with other ingredients needed to make the dish.
Tools other than price
- Look beyond lowering prices to drive sales. Implementing dual tactics can be more effective in attracting millennials.
- Well-stocked secondary display units, especially near complementary products, can produce a 10-15% increase in sales.
- Color and quality win over price. Consumers want to purchase colors 4 and 5.
- Engage shoppers digitally and leverage new technologies to attract younger people.